20 Industry Leaders Selected As Finalists for The BOLD Awards 2015
Although buildings receive all sorts of awards, we realized there’s a gap in the system. While beautiful, exciting buildings are created and operated every day by amazing individuals, there are few – if any – awards recognizing the people behind innovations and achievements in the green building space.We want to fill that hole to make sure our amazing leaders receive the credit they deserve for transforming the built environment.
The Building Optimizers Leaders and Disruptors Awards (The BOLD Awards) spotlights individuals and teams who drive the green building industry. These leaders are making our surroundings more intelligent, more comfortable, and more efficient. Formed in 2015 by Aquicore, Building Robotics, Enlighted and View, The BOLD Awards spotlight 4 categories of amazing leadership within sustainable buildings.
In our inaugural year with nearly 100 entries of incredible leaders, the judging panel had quite a task selecting the finalists. The judges, comprised of cutting-edge change-makers including representatives from the United States Green Building Council, GreenBiz, McDonough + Partners and more, evaluated each nomination based on the following criteria:
– Environmental impact: What environmental impact has the nominee created or expected?
– Human impact: How did the nominee change comfort, productivity, or the general well-being of the community?
– Innovation: Did the nominees implement an innovative project?
After careful consideration of each nomination, the panel was able to narrow the amazingly talented list to these 20 influential leaders.
– Ralph DiNola, CEO, New Buildings Institute
– Eugenia Gregorio, Director of Corporate Responsibility, The Tower Companies
– Fulya Kocak, Director of Sustainability, Clark Construction
– Sara Neff, Vice President of Sustainability, Kilroy Realty Corporation
– Anthony Ravitz, Real Estate and Workplace Services Green Team Lead, Google
– Mike Dieterich, Sustainability Manager, Renew and Sustain
– Lee Dunfee, Senior Vice President of East Engineering Operations, Cushman & Wakefield
– Sukanya Paciorek, Executive Vice President, Head of Asset Management, Brooklyn Navy Yard
– Russell Perry, Director of Sustainable Design, SmithGroupJJR
– David Summers, Principal, LA Mechanical Department Head, Glumac
– Donnel Baird, CEO, BlocPower
– Davida Herzl, CEO and Co-Founder, Aclima
– Peter Rumsey, Founder and CEO, Point Energy Innovations
– Stacy H. Smedley, CEO and Co-Founder, SEED Collaborative
– Dr. Avideh Zakhor, CEO, Indoor Reality
The Unsung Hero:
– Eden Brukman, Founder and Principal, Concenter Solutions
– Sara Cederberg, Technical Director of LEED, United States Green Building Council
– Chateau Hough Urban Agriculture Zone in Cleveland, Ohio
– Wes Sullens, Green Building Program Manager, StopWaste of Alameda County
– William (Bill) Updike, Chief of Green Building & Climate Branch, Department of Energy & Environment, The Government of The District of Columbia
Congratulations to all the finalists!
To see which of these outstanding leaders receive The BOLD Awards, join the host companies on Wednesday, November 18 from 5:30-7:30 p.m at Lucky Strike - Gallery Place (701 7th Street, NW Washington, DC 20001). Awards will be announced at 6:00pm.
Throughout the event, you’ll enjoy complimentary beers and bites, challenge your colleagues to bowling matches or billiards, and celebrate Building Optimizers, Leaders and Disruptors leading our industries to a brighter future. Tickets are running out, so save your spot today.
ABOUT THE AWARDS
A consortium of innovative companies in the built environment – Aquicore, Building Robotics, Enlighted and View – have joined forces to establish these important awards recognizing Building Optimizers, Leaders and Disruptors who are pushing boundaries and facilitating the adoption of new technologies in the green building industry.The BOLD Awards categories include:
The Champion - An individual or organization that has embraced early adoption of a specific cutting-edge green building technology or strategy in 2015.
The Mentor - Innovative ideas can either be encouraged or discouraged by senior leadership. This award is for a senior leader (or leadership team) whose support for a team’s innovative ideas and programs went above and beyond, fostering new ways to take on existing challenges.
The Inventor - An individual or team who created a product or service that transforms the way we interact with buildings.
The Unsung Hero - An individual or team who has been instrumental in advocating and shaping policies accelerating the adoption of green buildings, but largely does so behind the scenes.
ABOUT THE HOSTS
AquicoreAquicore offers comprehensive energy analytics and automation solutions for commercial real estate. An emerging leader in energy management systems, Aquicore provides technology that automatically reads and compiles data from utility meters and submeters in real-time. For more information, visit www.aquicore.com.
Building RoboticsBuilding Robotics connects people to places by giving users control of their own comfort. The company’s mission is to revolutionize the way buildings interact with people through cutting-edge software experiences. Combining human intelligence with computer intelligence, Building Robotics’ software, Comfy, allows buildings to instantly adapt to an individual’s perception of thermal comfort. Over time, it learns employee comfort patterns and adjusts temperatures accordingly, providing a sustainable and cost-effective solution to climate control within buildings, and happier, more empowered and productive employees. Building Robotics is based in Frank Ogawa Plaza in Oakland. For more information, visit buildingrobotics.com.
EnlightedDesigned to change everything, Enlighted provides the world’s most advanced digital sensor and analytics platform for smarter buildings to Fortune 500 companies around the globe. Enlighted was founded in 2009 and has received venture funding from Draper Nexus Ventures, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, RockPort Capital Partners, Draper Fisher Jurvetson and Intel Capital. The company is headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA. For more information about Enlighted products, visit enlightedinc.com.
ViewA leader in building innovation, View Inc. is the first company to successfully advance the large-scale commercialization of dynamic glass. View’s intelligent windows tint in response to external conditions and user preferences, providing enhanced occupant experience, intelligent control and improved energy efficiency. For more information, visit view.com.
Robyn Hannah - Senior Director, Communications